California Seeks to Enforce Separation of Cannabis and Alcohol

California regulators have issued an advisory that delineates a clear separation between cannabis and alcohol in the state. The memo from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) on the Cannabis Portal website was published on July 25. The advisory is a list of frequently asked questions received by the ABC, and the department’s responses.

Dual Licenses OK

The first question the memo addresses is whether a person can hold both a license to sell alcohol and a license to grow, sell, or process cannabis. The ABC advises that this permissible—neither the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act or the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA) preclude holding both types of licenses.

However, holding the two licenses is apparently all that is allowed under the rules. The ABC has ruled that combining business operations in several specific ways are all not allowed under the regulations.

No Pubs With Pot

Under the regulations, alcohol and cannabis license holders are not permitted to conduct both businesses at the same location, so enjoying a beer and a blunt at a bar is out.

“The MAUCRSA (Business and Professions Code section 26054) states that the holder of a license issued under the MAUCRSA

Read More Here…

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on pinterest
Share on email

Bud Digest

Scroll to Top