How To Get A Minnesota Medical Marijuana Card
MN MedCards are available for patients who are legal Minnesota residents and have been diagnosed with a qualifying condition. This provides access to cannabis for treatment.
Get Certified for Medical Cannabis In Minnesota:
PLEASE READ: Before you may register to get your Minnesota medical marijuana card from the state, a doctor, physician assistant or advanced practice registered nurse must first certify your condition. Schedule an appointment with your doctor, physician assistant or advanced practice registered nurse. These are the only health care practitioners authorized to certify your condition.
For Minnesota medical marijuana patients we are now offering the service that makes it easy to connect with a certified recommending doctor. If you have a qualifying condition please fill out the MMJ patient registration form and we will have a physician or clinic representative contact you. Legal Minnesota Residents Only.
MMJ Patient Registration Form
Conditions that Qualify for Medical Cannabis
About MN Medical Marijuana and the Minnesota Department of Health Office of Medical Cannabis
Med Card Doctor Visit
- The average price for this service which is a cash only option charged by the doctors office is $250. It is not covered by your health care plan.
- This fee is for the certification process only, not regular medical care or any testing necessary for the certification process, which may be covered by your health care plan.
Annual Registration Fee
- Full fee: The annual fee is $200.
- Reduced fee: Patients on Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability, Medicaid, MNCare, IHS or CHAMPVA are eligible for the reduced fee of $50.00. A copy of your Social Security Disability, CHAMPVA, Medical Assistance or Medicaid ID card must be provided during registration.
- Payment: the registration fee is paid online via credit/debit card or check at the USBank website once you login to the Registry.
Cannabis Products and Prices
- There will be a fee for the medical cannabis you need, payable at the cannabis patient centers. No insurance companies in Minnesota currently cover medical cannabis treatment. These prices vary between the different open dispensaries.
- Medical marijuana in Minnesota comes from 2 different cannabis brands.
- Leafline Labs: in oral solutions, $45-$230, capsules, $28, vape cartridges, $60-$75, vape syringe, $145, topical, $40, sublingual, $60
- Minnesota Medical Solutions: Distillate Vape Oil Syringes – $129 – $149, Vape Oil Syringes – $88 – $239, Distillate Vape Cartridges – $69 – $159, Vape Cartridges – $29 – $59, Capsules – $29 – $299, Oral Solutions – $119 – $249, Tinctures – $119 – $249, Topicals – $37 – $59, Vapes – $10 – $40
Instructions to Get Certified for Cannabis In Minnesota:
1. How to find a medical marijuana doctor in Minnesota
The easiest way, fill out the patient registration form above. Even then, some areas of the state still do not have local coverage. If it's worth it to you, you may have to take the drive.
Any MN licensed Doctor Of Medicine or APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse) for the conditions above can certify the patient’s qualifying condition, although not many are. Then the patient must register with the state. Once approved, the patient makes an appointment with one of the manufacturers/dispensaries and meets with a pharmacist who will determine the best MMJ product and dosing.
2. Print the Patient Email and Acknowledgement Form
On the Patient Email and Acknowledgement Form you’ll need to:
Write in the email address you’d like to use to receive private messages about your health. It is best to use your personal email address and not a work one. Bring this form along with you to your appointment and give it to your health care practitioner. During your visit, ask your practitioner for an appointment summary and a list of the medications that are currently prescribed to you. Take these documents with you when you go pick up your medical cannabis.
After you meet with your health care practitioner, you’ll receive an email from the OMC that will contain:
- Confirmation of your condition by your health care practitioner.
- Your unique registration link for the Medical Cannabis Patient Registry.
3. Register Online
Once you receive your certification email, you will be ready to register. Before you click on the registration link, gather your:
- Government-issued ID: state ID, driver’s license or passport
- If applicable, your government medical assistance plan ID: CHAMPVA, Medicaid or MinnesotaCare, Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Camera or a camera-equipped mobile phone to capture/scan images of your IDs
- Credit/debit card or check — the program’s payment processor, U.S. Bank, accepts all of the above methods of payment for the annual registration fee
- When your account has been approved, you’ll be notified by email.
3. Buy Medical Marijuana at Leafline Labs or Minnesota Medical Solutions
At this point you will be officially registered with the program.
To purchase medical cannabis, you will need to complete and submit a Patient Self-Evaluation Form. If you are under 18, or if at your certification appointment, your health care practitioner determined you need a caregiver, the person who is authorized to pick up your medical cannabis on your behalf will also need to fill out this form.