POSITION: Senior Technical Accountant
COMPANY: Vireo Health, Inc. – Minneapolis, MN
Vireo Health, Inc. ( Vireo ), a physician-led multi-state medical cannabis company, is committed to safely alleviating pain by providing patients with best-in-class cannabis products and compassionate care. Vireo subsidiary companies cultivate cannabis in environmentally friendly greenhouses, manufacture pharmaceutical-grade cannabis extracts in state-of-the-art labs, and offer their products for sale to qualifying patients at retail dispensaries and online. Vireo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran. www.vireohealth.com.
The Corporate Controller s group is the central organization within Vireo Health Inc. that is responsible for the several functions related to the financial reporting and close process, including Technical Accounting. Through research and analysis, critical thinking, and partnership with the business, we support key financial decisions and the issuance of the financial statements for Vireo Health.
As a Senior Technical Accountant, you will be responsible for researching technical accounting issues, and provide guidance and support. You will also be responsible for providing training and thought leadership on new accounting pronouncements and driving their implementation across the company.
The successful candidate will be a qualified accountant with significant experience of IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) accounting. Ability to apply IFRS to complex transactions and identify/resolve accounting issues is essential and requires an in depth understanding of accounting standards, as well as business acumen. Experience within a large, listed corporate is preferred.
The Senior Technical Accountant s primary responsibilities will include researching new and proposed accounting standard, assessing and documenting technical accounting considerations related to revenue, purchase accounting, impairment, lease accounting and other accounting topics to support accounting positions taken by the company.
- Assistance on IFRS accounting issues and developments including treatment of high value or complex items such as acquisition accounting, impairments, new business contracts and reorganizations.
- Assist in managing the process for implementing new standards/policies across the group and to ensure appropriateness and consistency of policy setting and application
- Delivery of Technical accounting training – annual comprehensive IFRS updates for and ad hoc training as required
- Preparation of technical accounting papers
- Assist in the preparation of issues logs and judgement papers for technical compliance
- Serve as a resource for assessing and documenting technical accounting considerations that arise in the normal course of operations.
- Research new or proposed accounting standards and summarize potential impacts.
- Assist in automating processes and procedures.
- Assist in the operational implementation of accounting policies.
- Provide training and guidance related to new policies and standards as they are adopted.
- Assist in the review of the Corporate Accounting Policies, providing recommended updates as necessary based on changes in accounting standards
- Assist in the assessment of business and reporting impacts of complex accounting matters.
- Support the adoption of new accounting standards, including analysis and documentation of the new standard.
Degree of Education: Bachelor s degree in Accounting
Desirable Amount of Previous Experience: Five years or more of progressive accounting or finance experience, including public accounting experience with technical accounting research responsibilities
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent technical interpretation written and verbal communications skills, including ability to assess, analyze and document accounting positions
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and research skills
- Integrity, professional ethics and self-starter
- Public accounting experience
- Highly organized, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines
- Desire to work in a team environment with the ability to work in high demand / output situations
- Ability to assess and implement process improvements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit.